April 30, 2008

Review: Sakura Gelly Roll Fine


I didn't have very high expectations for the Sakura Gelly Roll, but I wanted to try it out since it is so popular. In the end, it's just an average pen for me. My main gripe is that the black isn't black enough, even showing up a bit brown on some types of paper. But it seems that these pens are more popular for their wide array of colors rather than just the black model that I tried out. They are very cost effective though, so you may want to pick one up and test it out for yourself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree about the color of the black pens. They look kind of grey to my eyes. My main reason for checking them out is their archival qualities. Supposedly they're fade-proof (I know they're waterproof) and acid-free, all of which is important for journaling in my Moleskine. That said, I find Uniball 207 Micros to be a much better fit. More or less the same archival qualities, but much darker ink. And they've worked well in my Moles, always a plus.

dowdyism said...

I may give some of the color ones a shot to see how I like them. I really like the Uni-ball 207's also. Come to think of it, I don't believe I have reviewed one yet. I'll get on that. :)

Colin Tedford said...

I used a black medium for sketching and liked it pretty well, though there were occasional smudge issues when not all of the ink dried immediately. Nice smooth feel. I tried the same pen in "fine" as reviewed here, and it was lousy - just felt bad and didn't make a very good line.